Spain October retail sales fall 0.5 pct from year earlier - INE
MADRID Nov 27 (Reuters) - Spanish retail sales fell 0.5 percent year-on-year on a calendar-adjusted basis in October, official data from statistics institute INE showed on Wednesday, after a revised 2.1 percent rise in September.
September's rise, the first in three years, was likely due to residual effects from the impact of a rise in value-added tax (VAT) in September 2012. That had hit consumer spending hard, which made the figures for September this year look better. (Reporting By Elisabeth O'Leary; Editing by Fiona Ortiz)
- Crisis deepens as Ukraine says Russian troops back rebel advance
- Ukraine leader says Russian forces are in the country as key town falls
- U.S. air strikes on Syria would face formidable obstacles
- Samsung unveils smartwatch that can make calls
- Islamic State executes dozens of Syrian army soldiers: monitor