CORRECTED-Nigeria shuts Abuja airport after plane veers off runway
(Changes day of incident to Wednesday in 2nd paragraph)
ABUJA Dec 5 (Reuters) - Nigeria's Abuja airport has been closed since Wednesday night after a Saudi Arabian cargo plane veered off the runway, the aviation ministry said on Thursday.
The plane ran off the runway late on Wednesday but no one was hurt, ministry spokesman Joe Obi said, without naming the airline that operated the plane.
"The operation to remove the plane to a safe distance from the runway is under way. We hope to resume normal operations by the end of the day," Obi said by telephone.
- Malaysian airplane investigators look at suicide as possible motive |
- Planning could hold key to disappearance of Flight MH370 |
- U.S., EU set sanctions as Putin recognizes Crimea "sovereignty" |
- Magnitude 4.4 earthquake rocks Los Angeles area
- Russian government admits economy in crisis as Ukraine weighs