Chile's CorpBanca says gets merger bids; big holder to keep stake
SANTIAGO Dec 12 (Reuters) - Chilean bank and takeover target CorpBanca confirmed on Thursday it had received merger offers from "recognized" banking operators.
CorpBanca did not disclose the names of the bidders, but said in a statement that no agreement had yet been reached. It also said billionaire Alvaro Saieh, who owns a controlling stake in the bank, would "maintain a relevant shareholding and management control."
Last week, Reuters reported CorpBanca was close to a sale and that Brazil's Itau Unibanco Holding SA and Spain's Banco Bilbao Vizcaya Argentaria were the frontrunners.
- Malaysia Airlines loses contact with plane carrying 239 people |
- Man called Bitcoin's father denies ties, leads LA car chase
- Ukraine standoff intensifies, Russia says sanctions will 'boomerang' |
- Florida mayor fights backyard gun ranges in 'Gunshine State'
- Apple loses bid for U.S. ban on Samsung smartphone sales