Genting to spend $3-4 billion on developing unfinished Las Vegas resort
KUALA LUMPUR (Reuters) - Genting Bhd (GENT.KL), Southeast Asia's largest gaming and leisure group, will spend $3 billion to $4 billion developing an unfinished resort on the Las Vegas strip, its chief executive said on Tuesday.
Genting bought the resort from Boyd Gaming Corp (BYD.N) earlier this year for $350 million, in its first push into the U.S. gambling mecca dominated by the likes of Las Vegas Sands (LVS.N).
"We are looking at $3-4 billion in total if we get approval for a casino license (in Las Vegas)," Chief Executive Officer Lim Kok Thay, who was widely credited with the company's global expansion, told reporters.
Lim was speaking after the launch of Genting's $400 million project to build a theme park with Twenty-First Century Fox Inc (FOXA.O) for its hilltop casino in Malaysia.
The project is part of a five-year investment plan by subsidiary Genting Malaysia Bhd (GENM.KL) to spend close to $1 billion to spruce up Malaysia's only casino, which is facing increased competition as other countries in the region open up to gaming companies.
(Reporting by Siva Sithraputhran; Writing by Niluksi Koswanage; Editing by Christopher Cushing)
- Islamic State threat 'beyond anything we've seen': Pentagon
- British Muslims blame jihadi subculture after beheading video |
- Israeli air strike kills three Hamas commanders in Gaza |
- U.S. aid workers who survived Ebola leave Atlanta hospital |
- National Guard to withdraw from riot-torn Ferguson, Missouri |