BP makes major oil discovery in Gulf of Mexico
LONDON Dec 18 (Reuters) - Britain's BP Plc said on Wednesday it had made a significant oil discovery at its Gila prospect in the deepwater U.S. Gulf of Mexico.
"The Gila discovery is a further sign that momentum is returning to BP's drilling operations and well execution in the Gulf of Mexico," said Richard Morrison, Regional President of BP's Gulf of Mexico business.
BP, which co-owns the Gila prospect with ConocoPhillips , said appraisal drilling would now be required to determine the size and potential commerciality of the discovery.
BP said it was the third significant discovery it had made in the Paleogene play in the Gulf of Mexico in recent years, following Kaskida in 2006 and Tiber in 2009.
- Total CEO de Margerie killed in Moscow as jet hits snow plough
- Ebola crisis turns a corner as U.S. issues new treatment protocols
- Apple's iPhone sales beat Street but iPad volumes slide
- China's growth slowest since global crisis, annual target at risk
- Obama makes rare campaign trail appearance, people leave early