Melco Crown pledges $10 mln for Tokyo cultural project
Dec 18 (Reuters) - Macau casino operator Melco Crown Entertainment said it has pledged about $10 million for a cultural project in collaboration with the Tokyo University of the Arts.
Melco spokeswoman Maggie Ma said the pledge marked a "long term commitment to collaborate with the university" and reflected the company's interest in cultural development.
The pledge comes as Melco and other global casino operators lobby for a chance to do business in the Japanese market, which a pro-casino group of lawmakers are aiming to liberalise after submitting an initial bill to parliament earlier this month. (Reporting by Nathan Layne in TOKYO and Farah Master in HONG KONG)
- Malaysia military tracked missing plane to west coast: source |
- Malaysia air probe finds scant evidence of attack: sources |
- Ukraine forms new defense force, seeks Western help |
- Front companies, embassies mask North Korean weapons trade - U.N
- Freescale loss in Malaysia tragedy leads to travel policy questions