BlackBerry reports huge loss on writedown, impairment charges
TORONTO Dec 20 (Reuters) - Smartphone maker BlackBerry Ltd TO> reported a massive quarterly loss on Friday due to an inventory writedown and asset impairment charges.
The company, which abandoned an attempt to sell itself last month, reported a net loss of $4.4 billion, or $8.37 a share, in the third quarter ended Nov. 30. That compared with net income of $9 million, or 2 cents a share, a year earlier.
Excluding one-time items, the company reported a loss of $354 million, or 67 cents a share.
- Lost passenger jet was diverted deliberately: Malaysian PM
- Exclusive: Radar data suggests missing Malaysia plane deliberately flown way off course - sources
- Malaysia PM says lost plane's movements indicate a deliberate act
- UPDATE 2-Satellite data shows missing Malaysia plane may have flown thousands of miles-source
- UPDATE 1-Rolls-Royce concurs with Malaysia on missing jet's engine data