Australia shares close at 3-week highs in holiday-thin trade
(Updates to close)
SYDNEY Dec 23 (Reuters) - Australian shares rose 0.5 percent to three-week highs on Monday, underpinned by the financial sector though trading was subdued ahead of the Christmas holiday.
The S&P/ASX 200 index finished 26.7 points higher at 5,291.9. The benchmark climbed 1.2 percent on Friday.
New Zealand's benchmark NZX 50 index rose 0.9 percent to finish the session at 4,722.6. (Reporting by Thuy Ong; Editing by Shri Navaratnam)
- Anger mounts after bodies found trapped inside sunken South Korean ferry |
- Vice-principal of South Korea school in ferry disaster commits suicide |
- Special Report: How the U.S. made its Putin problem worse
- Search resumes after Everest's worst climbing tragedy
- All 338 Korean students, teachers rescued from sinking ferry - school official