Australia shares close at 3-week highs in holiday-thin trade
(Updates to close)
SYDNEY Dec 23 (Reuters) - Australian shares rose 0.5 percent to three-week highs on Monday, underpinned by the financial sector though trading was subdued ahead of the Christmas holiday.
The S&P/ASX 200 index finished 26.7 points higher at 5,291.9. The benchmark climbed 1.2 percent on Friday.
New Zealand's benchmark NZX 50 index rose 0.9 percent to finish the session at 4,722.6. (Reporting by Thuy Ong; Editing by Shri Navaratnam)
- iPhone comes out of a 'bygone era', reviewers hail bigger handset
- Boeing, SpaceX win contracts to build 'space taxis' for NASA
- Polls show Scottish opponents of independence with slight lead ahead of vote |
- Fed could hint on rate-hike plans as it prepares for policy turn
- Wildfire rips through 150 homes in Northern California