RPT-Cyprus broadcaster airs ex-leader's message in New Year blunder
(Repeats to more clients)
NICOSIA Jan 2 (Reuters) - Cyprus's public broadcaster inadvertently broadcast the opening seconds of an old New Year's message from the country's former leader instead of from President Nicos Anastasiades, prompting an embarrassed apology on Thursday.
The Cyprus Broadcasting Corporation (CyBC) said it had realised its mistake within seconds of the broadcast going out on the afternoon of Dec. 31 and had halted transmission of the address from former president Demetris Christofias.
The broadcaster is now conducting an internal inquiry into the "very serious" error, CyBC said in a statement carried by the Cyprus News Agency.
- Malaysia military tracked missing plane to west coast: source |
- Malaysia air probe finds scant evidence of attack: sources |
- Ukraine forms new defense force, seeks Western help |
- UPDATE 1-Missing Malaysian plane last seen at Strait of Malacca-source
- Freescale loss in Malaysia tragedy leads to travel policy questions