Australia shares tread water; China concerns weigh on miners
(Updates to close)
SYDNEY Jan 8 (Reuters) - Australian shares finished flat on Wednesday, with gains in defensive stocks offset by weakness in miners on concerns about the economy in China, Australia's biggest export market.
The S&P/ASX 200 index slipped 1.0 points to 5,316.0, pulling back from a strong start in the morning on positive overseas leads. The benchmark slipped 0.2 percent on Tuesday.
New Zealand's benchmark NZX 50 index rose 0.4 percent to 4,779.8. (Reporting by Maggie Lu Yueyang; Editing by Eric Meijer)
- With no sign of missing plane, search spreads far across land and sea |
- Malaysia military source says missing jet veered to west |
- Toddler found with heroin at New Jersey daycare center
- Ukraine appeals to the West as Crimea turns to Russia |
- UPDATE 1-Missing Malaysian plane last seen at Strait of Malacca-source