Former SS soldier, 88, charged over 1944 village massacre in France

BERLIN Wed Jan 8, 2014 2:09pm EST

Related Topics

Photo

Air strikes in Gaza

Our latest photos from the scene.   Slideshow 

BERLIN (Reuters) - German prosecutors have charged an 88-year-old former member of Hitler's elite Waffen SS of taking part in a World War Two massacre of hundreds of French villagers, nearly 70 years after one of the most infamous Nazi atrocities.

In the methodical June 1944 slaughter, SS soldiers took the small village of Oradour-sur-Glane in central France by surprise and killed nearly all its inhabitants within a few hours. They killed 642 men, women and children.

The men were herded into barns and shot dead while the women and children were burned alive in the village church.

"The prosecution charges an 88-year-old pensioner from Cologne with (joining in) the destruction of Oradour-sur-Glane in France," said Achim Hengstenberg, court spokesman in the western German city.

"He and another shooter are said to have killed 25 men in a barn with his machinegun. He is also said to have aided the burning down of the village church."

Hengstenberg said the charge lay with the young offenders chamber of the Cologne court because the suspect was only 19 years old at the time of the crime. He was not named in the statement. The young offenders chamber will decide whether or not to open proceedings against the aged accused.

The SS unit decided to wipe Oradour-sur-Glane off the map as an example to French Resistance guerrillas after a vehicle carrying an SS doctor was ambushed on a road leading to the village and its occupants abducted.

Among those killed were 207 children, the youngest eight weeks old. Only five men and a woman survived the massacre.

"It's important that we find someone even if it's 70 years afterwards," Robert Hebras, one of the six survivors, told French broadcaster BFM TV.

Oradour is an ambiguous symbol because it represents not just the atrocities committed by the Nazis but also a post-war failure to punish the perpetrators.

Heinz Lammerding, the Waffen SS general in command of the unit that committed the massacre, was captured by Allied forces but never extradited to France and was sentenced to death in absentia by a Bordeaux military court in 1951. He died in his bed in Bavaria in 1971.

Hengstenberg said the new charge resulted from a fresh look at a previous investigation into the events.

In 1953, 12 Alsatian soldiers who took part in the massacre while serving in the German army were sentenced to life in prison and one to death, but France's parliament immediately pardoned them in the name of "national reconciliation".

Their province of Alsace had been annexed by Germany in 1940 and Alsatians were deemed to have been forced to join the Nazi army, even though some clearly enlisted voluntarily.

Earlier on Wednesday, a German court dismissed a case against a 92-year-old man accused of killing a Dutch resistance fighter in World War Two when he was in the SS, citing a loss of evidence.

(Reporting by Sarah Marsh, Leigh Thomas and Reuters TV, editing by Mark Heinrich)

FILED UNDER:
We welcome comments that advance the story through relevant opinion, anecdotes, links and data. If you see a comment that you believe is irrelevant or inappropriate, you can flag it to our editors by using the report abuse links. Views expressed in the comments do not represent those of Reuters. For more information on our comment policy, see http://blogs.reuters.com/fulldisclosure/2010/09/27/toward-a-more-thoughtful-conversation-on-stories/
Comments (30)
EastBerlin wrote:
Good grief, move on and take care of the future. There is no good that can come from the prosecution of the hand full of WW11 Military
survivors that May have committed what is now called a crime. Time has taken most and will shortly take the last of the victims and the criminals. It is a waste of time and money that is desperately needed for providing a better future.

Jan 08, 2014 2:35pm EST  --  Report as abuse
EastBerlin wrote:
Good grief, move on and take care of the future. There is no good that can come from the prosecution of the hand full of WW11 Military
survivors that May have committed what is now called a crime. Time has taken most and will shortly take the last of the victims and the criminals. It is a waste of time and money that is desperately needed for providing a better future.

Jan 08, 2014 2:35pm EST  --  Report as abuse
ksea wrote:
i totally disagree with you “East Berlin”….The world needs to know that people who did unspeakable atrocities to human kind will be found and held accountable for their actions regardless of how long it takes.
642 lives lost as a demonstration for the kidnapping of one general?

This guy should be tried, and if found guilty, taken back to the city and hung in the memorial to the people that were burned alive.

Jan 08, 2014 6:16pm EST  --  Report as abuse
This discussion is now closed. We welcome comments on our articles for a limited period after their publication.