Greek unemployment rises slightly in October to new record 27.8 pct
ATHENS Jan 9 (Reuters) - Greece's unemployment rate rose further in October to 27.8 percent, from an upwardly revised 27.7 percent the previous month, the country's statistics agency ELSTAT said on Thursday.
The reading - more than twice the euro zone's record-high average of 12.1 percent in October - highlights the impact of Greece's prolonged, austerity-fuelled recession on the labour market.
- Deadly gun attack in eastern Ukraine shakes fragile Geneva accord |
- Japan expands army footprint for first time in 40 years, risks angering China
- Prosecutors extend Korea ferry captain's detention as death toll mounts |
- Pfizer considers $100 billion bid for AstraZeneca: report
- South Korea recovers first bodies from inside sunken ferry