US STOCKS SNAPSHOT-Wall St opens with gains on jobs data, Macy's
NEW YORK Jan 9 (Reuters) - U.S. stocks rose at the open on Thursday in the wake of upbeat labor market data and as Macy's lifted the bar further for retailers after a stellar holiday season.
The Dow Jones industrial average rose 38.85 points or 0.24 percent, to 16,501.59, the S&P 500 gained 3.47 points or 0.19 percent, to 1,840.96 and the Nasdaq Composite added 13.079 points or 0.31 percent, to 4,178.69.
- Exclusive: Angry with Washington, 1 in 4 Americans open to secession
- Scots spurn independence in historic vote, nationalist leader resigns |
- Eight bodies found after attack on Guinea Ebola education team
- Special Report: Scotland stays in UK, but Britain faces change
- Alibaba expected to rise more than 30 percent in trading debut |