Friends of Syria says Geneva talks only option for peace
PARIS Jan 12 (Reuters) - The Friends of Syria, an alliance of mainly Western and Gulf Arab countries who support the Syrian oppositian, said on Sunday that the only way for political solution in Syria is for peace talks in Geneva to take place.
"There is no other political solution," French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius said speaking on behalf of the group. "There will be no political solution for Syria unless Geneva 2 meets."
An international meeting bringing President Bashar al-Assad's government and opposition groups to the table is set to be held from Jan. 22 in Switzerland. (Reporting by John Irish, editing by Geert De Clercq)
- China food scandal spreads, drags in Starbucks, Burger King and McNuggets in Japan |
- Israel pounds Gaza despite international peace efforts |
- Train carrying MH17 bodies on final journey reaches Ukraine city |
- Islamic State crushes and coerces on march towards Baghdad
- EU threatens Russia with more sanctions, but words ring hollow