Friends of Syria says Geneva talks only option for peace
PARIS Jan 12 (Reuters) - The Friends of Syria, an alliance of mainly Western and Gulf Arab countries who support the Syrian oppositian, said on Sunday that the only way for political solution in Syria is for peace talks in Geneva to take place.
"There is no other political solution," French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius said speaking on behalf of the group. "There will be no political solution for Syria unless Geneva 2 meets."
An international meeting bringing President Bashar al-Assad's government and opposition groups to the table is set to be held from Jan. 22 in Switzerland. (Reporting by John Irish, editing by Geert De Clercq)
- Up to 18 exposed to U.S. Ebola patient, including children |
- First Ebola case diagnosed in the United States: CDC |
- Turkey vows to fight Islamic State, coalition strikes near border |
- Israel's Netanyahu tells Obama that Iran can't be allowed to reach nuclear arms 'threshold'
- Hong Kong leader plays waiting game, protesters demand he resigns |