India's Rahul Gandhi to lead party campaign, not formal PM candidate
NEW DELHI (Reuters) - India's Rahul Gandhi will lead the Congress party's campaign for national elections due by May, but he will not be formally announced as the party's candidate for prime minister, a senior party leader said on Thursday.
"The 2014 election campaign will be led by Mr Rahul Gandhi," Janardan Dwivedi told reporters after a meeting of the Congress Working Committee, but added that it was not in the party's tradition to name candidates for prime minister.
Congress, in power for the last decade, is struggling in opinion polls with a string of corruption scandals and a reputation for poor governance engulfing its administration.
- Divided, Scots prepare to vote on fate of the United Kingdom |
- Dollar soars to six-year peak on yen after Fed, Tokyo stocks cheer
- Apple to unveil new iPads, operating system on Oct. 21: report
- Australian PM says police raids follow threat of beheading
- UPDATE 4-Australian PM says police raids follow threat of beheading