Keep open minded about QE's effects on bubbles -Fed's Williams
WASHINGTON Jan 16 (Reuters) - While the Federal Reserve is dialing down its bond-buying based on economic improvements, policymakers need to keep "open minds" about how such stimulus affects asset prices and could lead to bubbles, a top U.S. central banker said on Thursday.
San Francisco Fed President John Williams, speaking at a Brookings Institution event attended by Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke and Fed Vice Chair nominee Stanley Fischer, added the first line of defense against bubbles should be financial regulation, not monetary policy.
- Malaysia Airlines loses contact with plane carrying 239 people |
- REFILE-UPDATE 3-Malaysia Airlines loses contact with plane carrying 239 people
- No signal picked up from missing Malaysia Airlines plane-Vietnam official
- China draws red line' on North Korea, says won't allow war on peninsula
- China helping locate missing Malaysia Airlines plane: TV