Community Health gets U.S. approval to buy rival hospital operator
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Hospital operator Community Health Systems Inc (CYH.N) has won approval to buy Health Management Associates Inc HMA.N on the condition that it sell hospitals in Alabama and South Carolina, the U.S. Federal Trade Commission said on Wednesday.
Community Health Systems, the second-largest for-profit hospital operator in the United States, said in July that it would buy Health Management, a smaller rival, to strengthen its base of operations.
Both chains operate hospitals primarily in smaller cities and rural areas. Health Management has a strong focus in the U.S. Southeast, including Florida.
- Trucks from aid convoy to Ukraine start crossing back into Russia |
- Restraint marks Ferguson, Missouri protests for third straight night |
- Gaza gunmen execute 'collaborators'; mortar kills Israeli boy |
- U.S. says Russia must pull convoy from Ukraine or face more sanctions |
- U.S. hostage rescuers dropped from night sky: Syria activist