New York boy, eight, dies after saving six family members in fire

NEW YORK Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:58pm EST

Related Topics

NEW YORK (Reuters) - An 8-year-old boy who saved the lives of six family members by warning them their trailer was on fire died after going back in to try to rescue his disabled uncle, said authorities in western New York state.

After the blaze on Monday, firefighters found the body of Tyler Doohan, in the back bedroom of his grandfather's mobile home in Penfield, New York, near Lake Ontario and about 300 miles northwest of New York City.

Tyler, along with his grandfather, Louis Beach, 57, and uncle, Steven Smith, 54, was unable to escape and died before firefighters could rescue them, Penfield Fire Chief Chris Ebmeyer said.

"There was fire rolling all over the length of the trailer and over their heads. They weren't able to get outside," Ebmeyer told reporters after the blaze. "Most likely the occupants were somewhat overcome with carbon monoxide poisoning and toxic gas released in fires."

Neighbors called 911 upon seeing the flames, which destroyed the home outside of East Rochester.

The surviving six family members were taken to the hospital and treated for smoke inhalation and minor burns, Ebmeyer said.

(Reporting By Marina Lopes; Editing by Scott Malone and Gunna Dickson)

We welcome comments that advance the story through relevant opinion, anecdotes, links and data. If you see a comment that you believe is irrelevant or inappropriate, you can flag it to our editors by using the report abuse links. Views expressed in the comments do not represent those of Reuters. For more information on our comment policy, see
Comments (1)
jgaunt1 wrote:
How very sad and brave. My thoughts go out to family friends and the hearts that have been touched by Tyler.

God Bless

John. x

Jan 22, 2014 7:34pm EST  --  Report as abuse
This discussion is now closed. We welcome comments on our articles for a limited period after their publication.