Dead man found hanging on Kiev's Independence Square - police
KIEV (Reuters) - A 55-year-old man was found dead on Monday hanging from the framework of a huge artificial 'New Year tree' in central Kiev which has become a symbol of anti-government resistance, Ukrainian police said.
Police said they removed the body, which was hanging inside the cone-shaped tubular steel construction on Kiev's Independence Square. The 'tree' is festooned with a poster of jailed opposition leader Yulia Tymoshenko and scrawled with graffiti attacking President Viktor Yanukovich.
The body, that of a man from Volyn region in western Ukraine, bore no external wounds and was being examined to establish the cause of death, the police statement said.
The incident was especially bizarre since the square has been swarming with protesters day and night since the onset of mass protests against Yanukovich in early December.
- Exclusive: Malaysia plane probe narrows on mid-air disintegration - source
- Radar showed missing plane may have turned back: Malaysia military
- Missing Malaysian jet may have disintegrated in mid-air: source |
- Malaysian plane presumed crashed; questions over false IDs |
- Merkel raps Putin as Russian forces tighten grip on Crimea |