US STOCKS SNAPSHOT-Wall St stocks volatile after Fed statement
NEW YORK Jan 29 (Reuters) - The major U.S. stock indexes initially pared losses and then extended their declines on Wednesday after the Federal Reserve announced a further reduction in its monthly bond purchases, as expected.
The Dow Jones industrial average fell 157.60 points or 0.99 percent, to 15,770.96. The S&P 500 lost 14.69 points or 0.82 percent, to 1,777.81. The Nasdaq Composite dropped 34.43 points or 0.84 percent, to 4,063.533.
- Israel strikes house of Hamas Gaza leader, digs in for long fight |
- West agrees wider Russia sanctions as Kiev says forces near crash site |
- U.S. says Russia violated nuclear treaty, urges immediate talks
- Judge gives go-ahead for $2 billion sale of NBA's Clippers |
- Jaded Argentines brace for looming debt default