Southern Co files documents to complete DOE nuclear loan guarantee
HOUSTON Jan 29 (Reuters) - Southern Co Chairman Tom Fanning said on Wednesday that the company has delivered documents to the U.S. Energy Department to complete the $8.3 billion loan guarantee for its two-reactor expansion at the Vogtle nuclear plant in Georgia.
The Vogtle loan guarantee was expected to be finalized in 2012, but the process bogged down over terms and costs and were complicated by DOE requirements added after the much-publicized bankruptcy of solar panel maker Solyndra which had received loan guarantees.
- Former WWE champ nabs suspected burglar in Arizona
- First Ebola victim in Sierra Leone capital on the run
- Thousands take to N.Y. streets to protest Israeli offensive in Gaza
- U.S. fighter jets escort Canadian plane home over passenger threat
- Apple iPhones allow extraction of deep personal data, researcher finds