REFILE-US STOCKS SNAPSHOT-Wall St rallies on Facebook, GDP data
NEW YORK Jan 30 (Reuters) - U.S. stocks soared on Thursday, helped by gains in Facebook and other tech companies, as well as data showing the U.S. economy was on solid footing in the fourth quarter.
The Dow Jones industrial average shot up 109.82 points, or 0.70 percent, to end unofficially at 15,848.61. The Standard & Poor's 500 Index jumped 19.99 points, or 1.13 percent, to close unofficially at 1,794.19. The Nasdaq Composite Index gained 71.69 points, or 1.77 percent, to close unofficially at 4,123.13.
- South Korea recovers first bodies from inside sunken ferry
- Japan expands army footprint for first time in 40 years, risks angering China
- Prosecutors extend Korea ferry captain's detention as death toll mounts |
- South Korea recovers first bodies from inside sunken ferry |
- Mediator heads to east Ukraine, seeking surrenders |