UPDATE 1-UK Stocks-Factors to watch on Jan 31
LONDON Jan 31 (Reuters) - Britain's FTSE 100 index is set to open slightly lower on Friday, with futures falling 0.1 percent by 0730 GMT ahead of the cash market open.
* The UK blue chip index closed down 5.83 points, or 0.1 percent, at 6,538.45 on Thursday, falling for the seventh time in eight days, and nearing its lowest since mid-December, with concerns about emerging markets taking their toll on sentiment.
* BT : The telecoms company returned to quarterly revenue growth for the first time in four and a half years, driven by record customer demand for superfast broadband and its growing new sports TV service.
* RANK GROUP : The gambling group said its first-half profit fell 23 percent.
* VEDANTA RESOURCES : The miner reported total group revenue for the third quarter of $3,450.4 million.
* JOHN WOOD GROUP : The company appointed Ian Marchant as chairman.
* HOUSEBUILDERS: New-home building in Britain last year hit its highest level since the financial crisis but remains far too low to meet a strong recovery in demand, an industry report showed.
* British consumer confidence surged in January to its highest level since 2007 after falling for three months, a survey showed.
TODAY'S UK PAPERS
> Financial Times
> Other business headlines Multimedia versions of Reuters Top News are now available for: * 3000 Xtra : visit* BridgeStation: view story .134 For more information on Top News visit
- Malaysian PM says lost airliner was diverted deliberately |
- Malaysia PM says lost plane's movements indicate a deliberate act
- Exclusive: Radar data suggests missing Malaysia plane deliberately flown way off course - sources
- UPDATE 2-Satellite data shows missing Malaysia plane may have flown thousands of miles-source
- UPDATE 1-Rolls-Royce concurs with Malaysia on missing jet's engine data