Hartford Financial posts profit as disaster claims fall
Feb 3 (Reuters) - Insurer Hartford Financial Services Group posted a profit in the fourth quarter, compared with a year-earlier loss, helped by lower disaster losses.
The company's net income was $314 million, or 65 cents per share, for the quarter ended Dec. 31, compared with a loss of $46 million, or 13 cents per share, a year earlier.
The year-earlier quarter was impacted by losses from superstorm Sandy, which hit New York and New Jersey in October 2012.
Hartford Financial earned 94 cents per share on an operating basis.
- First Ebola victim in Sierra Leone capital on the run
- Amazon's far-reaching ambitions, lack of profits, unnerve investors |
- Apple iPhones allow extraction of deep personal data, researcher finds
- Short Gaza truce takes hold; many bodies pulled from rubble |
- EU edges to economic sanctions on Russia but narrows scope |