Brazil suffers sporadic power failures amid record heat
SAO PAULO Feb 4 (Reuters) - Brazilian distributors reported sporadic power outages across much of the southeast, south and central-western regions on Tuesday afternoon as the country struggles with low hydroelectric levels and record heat.
Companies including Light, the main distributor for the Rio de Janeiro area, Eletropaulo, the distributor for Sao Paulo, and distributors covering other regions reported outages.
Some neighborhoods in Sao Paulo had power while others did not, Brazilian media reported. Some distributors said power had returned to normal and the Mines and Energy Ministry will hold a news conference at 5 p.m. Brasilia time. (Reporting by Reese Ewing; Editing by Chizu Nomiyama)
- Alabama man gets $1,000 in police settlement, his lawyers get $459,000
- Probe: Athletes took fake classes at University of North Carolina
- Ottawa pushes for business as usual after shootings |
- Man arrested after jumping White House fence, causing lockdown
- U.S.-led air strikes killed 521 fighters, 32 civilians in Syria: monitor