U.S. Senate Republicans block new bid to restore jobless benefits
WASHINGTON Feb 6 (Reuters) - U.S. Senate Republicans on Thursday blocked a new bid by Democrats to restore long-term unemployment benefits for 1.7 million Americans, and make millionaires ineligible for such aid.
On a largely party-line vote of 58-40, Democrats fell short of the needed 60 to clear a Republican procedural hurdle against a three-month, retroactive extension of the relief.
- 'Good night': Haunting final contact from missing Malaysian jet |
- Crimeans vote over 90 percent to quit Ukraine for Russia |
- Ukraine, Russia agree Crimea truce until March 21-Ukraine minister
- France bans Monsanto GM maize ahead of sowing season
- North Korea fires 25 short-range and obsolete rockets: South Korea