RPT-Chance of El Nino conditions seen after N. Hemisphere spring -U.S. forecaster
(Repeats story published early Friday; no change to text)
Feb 6 (Reuters) - U.S. weather forecaster Climate Prediction Center (CPC) said on Thursday there was an increasing chance of the El Nino weather pattern after expecting neutral conditions through the Northern Hemisphere spring 2014.
In its monthly report, the CPC maintained its outlook that El Nino was unlikely through the spring, but noted that a change in temperatures "portend warming in the coming months."
That represented a change from the CPC's previous outlook of neutral conditions through summer 2014.
El Nino can cause flooding and heavy rains in the United States and South America and can trigger drought conditions in Southeast Asia and Australia. (Reporting by Chris Prentice in New York; Editing by Jeffrey Benkoe)
- Police seek motive in fatal Washington state school shooting
- Two deputies killed, two others hurt in California shooting spree
- Wall St. finally turning on Amazon as Bezos magic fades
- Iran hangs woman convicted of killing alleged rapist
- Medical worker quarantined in New Jersey under new Ebola safeguards |