Spain orders arrest of former Chinese officials over Tibet
MADRID Feb 10 (Reuters) - Spanish High Court Judge Ismael Moreno on Monday issued an arrest warrant for former Chinese President Jiang Zemin, ex-Prime Minister Li Peng and others on allegations of genocide in Tibet.
Moreno used a Spanish law that allows suspects to be pursued for human rights abuses committed abroad when a Spanish victim is involved.
Spain's ruling People's Party is pushing a reform of this law that would restrict the capacity of judges to act beyond the country's borders.
- Exclusive: Angry with Washington, 1 in 4 Americans open to secession
- Scots spurn independence in historic vote, devolution battle begins |
- Alibaba surges 38 percent on massive demand in market debut |
- Eight bodies found after attack on Guinea Ebola education team
- French jets strike in Iraq, expanding U.S.-led campaign against Islamic State |