House to vote on debt limit increase Tuesday evening
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The House of Representatives plans to vote on a "clean" increase in the federal debt limit on Tuesday evening instead of Wednesday because of winter storm concerns, a House Republican aide said.
The accelerated vote schedule will allow lawmakers to depart Washington before the heaviest part of a forecast snow and ice storm hits much of the South and the East Coast.
House Democrats are due to start a three-day retreat in Cambridge, Maryland, late on Wednesday. The House is on recess next week for the Presidents Day holiday.
- British Muslims blame jihadi subculture after beheading video |
- Islamic State threat 'beyond anything we've seen': Pentagon
- Israeli air strike kills three Hamas commanders in Gaza |
- U.S. aid workers who survived Ebola leave Atlanta hospital |
- National Guard to withdraw from riot-torn Ferguson, Missouri |