House to vote on debt limit increase Tuesday evening
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The House of Representatives plans to vote on a "clean" increase in the federal debt limit on Tuesday evening instead of Wednesday because of winter storm concerns, a House Republican aide said.
The accelerated vote schedule will allow lawmakers to depart Washington before the heaviest part of a forecast snow and ice storm hits much of the South and the East Coast.
House Democrats are due to start a three-day retreat in Cambridge, Maryland, late on Wednesday. The House is on recess next week for the Presidents Day holiday.
- Police hunt for motive as search for Malaysian jet spans hemispheres |
- Crimeans vote over 90 percent to quit Ukraine for Russia |
- Ukraine, Russia agree Crimea truce until March 21-Ukraine minister
- Malaysian PM says lost airliner was diverted deliberately |
- Democrats seek ways to limit Obamacare fallout after Florida defeat