Austria close out preliminary round with first win
SOCHI, Russia (Reuters) - Austria beat Norway 3-1 to claim their first win of the Olympic men's ice hockey competition as the preliminary round reached its final stage on Sunday.
All 12 teams in the men's tournament will advance out of the round-robin but Sunday's games will determine the matchups for the first knockout phase.
Michael Grabner scored twice for Austria, bringing his tournament total to five, while Per-Age Skroder had Norway's goal.
The top finishers in each of the three groups and the team with the best second place record advance directly to the quarter-finals.
The remaining eight teams will play off with the four winners advancing.
Finland and Canada, both with 2-0 records, play later on Sunday to determine top spot in Group B while Austria (1-2) will finish third and winless Norway (0-3) fourth.
- Tesla prevails in top Massachusetts court over direct sales
- Obama to deploy 3,000 troops as Ebola crisis worsens
- Russia needs government investment to avoid recession, says former finance minister
- World stocks hit one-month low, caution ahead of Fed
- Ahead of independence vote, Britain pledges state funding to Scotland |