Nigerian president names Zenith Bank MD as next cbank governor
Feb 20 (Reuters) - Nigerian president Goodluck Jonathan named the managing director of Zenith Bank Godwin Emefiele as the next central bank governor, the chairman of the Senate committee on finance told Reuters by telephone.
Jonathan suspended current central bank head Lamido Sanusi on Thursday, putting deputy governor Sarah Alade in charge in the interim.
Senator Ahmed Makarfi confirmed that Emefiele's nomination had been sent to the Senate for approval to take office when Sanusi's term would have expired in June.
He said the president had a prerogative to suspend the central bank governor using his executive powers, and that the Senate would only need to approve a full removal.
- With no sign of missing plane, search spreads far across land and sea |
- Malaysia military source says missing jet veered to west |
- Toddler found with heroin at New Jersey daycare center
- Ukraine appeals to the West as Crimea turns to Russia |
- UPDATE 1-Missing Malaysian plane last seen at Strait of Malacca-source