TABLE-Swiss trade surplus widens to 2.6 bln Sfr in Jan
ZURICH Feb 20 (Reuters) - Exports from Switzerland rose by a real 4.7 percent in January to 17.110 billion Swiss francs, the Federal Customs Office said on Thursday.
Overall Switzerland ran a merchandise trade surplus of 2,594 million Swiss francs in January.
(millions of Swiss francs)
Jan 2014 Dec 2013 Jan 2013
Imports 14,515 14,183 14,693
Exports 17,110 14,704 16,813
Balance 2,594 521 2,120
The figures exclude precious metals and stones, works of art and antiques.
KEY POINTS FROM THE STATEMENT:
* "The chemicals and pharmaceuticals industry generated half of the export growth."
* "Exports to the United Kingdom rose 30 percent, while imports from the United States fell 9 percent."
For a story on Swiss economy click on...
For recent Swiss National Bank comments...
- Still no sign of Malaysian jet lost in 'unprecedented mystery' |
- The search for missing Malaysian jet
- Mexico kills drug kingpin reported dead years ago: official
- Missing Malaysian jet may have disintegrated in mid-air: source |
- Exclusive: Malaysia plane probe narrows on mid-air disintegration - source