OECD chief economist Padoan to be Italian finmin -source
PARIS Feb 21 (Reuters) - OECD Chief Economist Pier Carlo Padoan will be appointed Italy's next finance minister, a source at the Paris-based Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development said on Friday.
"He's got it, he'll be the finance minister," the OECD source told Reuters, adding that an official announcement was expected at 1500 GMT.
As head of the OECD's economics department, Padoan has called for aggressive easing from the European Central Bank and was an early critic of tough budget cutbacks in the euro zone's weakest economies as they struggled with excessive debt.
- Israel says shoots down Gaza drone as calls for truce mount |
- Six people injured when camera catches fire at 30 Rockefeller Plaza
- Exclusive: YouTube weighs funding efforts to boost premium content - sources
- Israel holds off on escalating Gaza barrage; West wants truce |
- Russia warns Ukraine after shell crosses border |