OECD chief economist Padoan to be Italian finmin -source
PARIS Feb 21 (Reuters) - OECD Chief Economist Pier Carlo Padoan will be appointed Italy's next finance minister, a source at the Paris-based Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development said on Friday.
"He's got it, he'll be the finance minister," the OECD source told Reuters, adding that an official announcement was expected at 1500 GMT.
As head of the OECD's economics department, Padoan has called for aggressive easing from the European Central Bank and was an early critic of tough budget cutbacks in the euro zone's weakest economies as they struggled with excessive debt.
- Exclusive: Angry with Washington, 1 in 4 Americans open to secession
- Secret Service investigates after man jumps White House fence, reaches doors
- About 60,000 Syrian Kurds flee to Turkey as Islamic State advances |
- French jets strike in Iraq, expanding U.S.-led campaign against Islamic State |
- Scots spurn independence in historic vote, devolution battle begins |