Hebei Iron & Steel says steel capacity expansion exceeds closures
BEIJING Feb 26 (Reuters) - New steel capacity addition in China was still exceeding the tonnage that was due to be shut this year despite the government vowing to block expansions, China's top steel maker Hebei Iron and Steel Group said on Wednesday.
Thirty million tonnes of production capacity is currently under construction, while Hebei province will only close about 15 million tonnes of capacity this year, Wang Jiguang, director of Hebei Group's sales unit, said at the Metal Bulletin conference.
Hebei is the largest steel producing province in China and has an annual production capacity of 250 million metric tonnes. (Reporting by David Stanway; Editing by Paul Tait)
- Scots independence polls close, UK's future in the balance |
- Islamic State shows captive British journalist in new video |
- Australian PM says police raids follow IS linked beheading plot |
- New evacuations ordered as California wildfire doubles in size |
- Kurds issue call to arms as Islamic State gains in Syria