US calls on Russia to be transparent, avoid risky Ukraine steps
BRUSSELS Feb 27 (Reuters) - Russia must be transparent about military exercises along Ukraine's border and not take any steps that could be misinterpreted or "lead to miscalculation during a delicate time," U.S. Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel said on Thursday.
"I'm closely watching Russia's military exercises along the Ukrainian border," Hagel said at a NATO news conference. "I expect Russia to be transparent about these activities, and I urge them not to take any steps that could be misinterpreted, or lead to miscalculation during a very delicate time -- a time of great tension." (Reporting by Phil Stewart; Editing by Adrian Croft)
- French warplanes search Mali desert for crashed Air Algerie plane
- Exclusive: Ukraine rebel commander acknowledges fighters had BUK missile
- At least 15 dead in Israeli shelling of Gaza school: Health Ministry |
- Sierra Leone's chief Ebola doctor contracts the virus
- U.S. jobless claims lowest since early 2006; new home sales tumble