UK Stocks-Factors to watch on March 7
LONDON, March 7
LONDON, March 7 (Reuters) - Britain's FTSE 100 index is seen opening flat to 4 points higher, or up as much as 0.1 percent on Friday, according to financial bookmakers.
* Investors were likely to avoid strong bets before U.S. jobs data which could sway the near-term direction of the market. U.S. hiring likely picked up enough in February to keep the Federal Reserve on track in reducing its monetary stimulus, but the size of the gain is expected to be modest as the economy struggles to break from the grip of severe winter weather.
Non-farm payrolls probably increased by 149,000 last month, with the jobless rate holding at a five-year low of 6.6 percent, according to a Reuters survey of economists.
* The UK blue chip index closed up 13.07 points, or 0.2 percent, at 6,788.49 on Thursday.
* Friday is a quiet day on the UK corporate earnings front, with no blue chips scheduled to post earnings.
TODAY'S UK PAPERS
> Financial Times
> Other business headlines Multimedia versions of Reuters Top News are now available for: * 3000 Xtra : visit* BridgeStation: view story .134 For more information on Top News visit
- French warplanes search Mali desert for crashed Air Algerie plane
- At least 15 die in Israeli shelling of Gaza school as toll exceeds 750 |
- Exclusive: Ukraine rebel commander acknowledges fighters had BUK missile
- Sierra Leone's chief Ebola doctor contracts the virus
- Minnesota man asked to leave Southwest flight after critical tweet