Soccer-Fenerbahce match with Trabzon abandoned amid crowd trouble
ISTANBUL, March 11
ISTANBUL, March 11 (Reuters) - League leaders Fenerbahce's match with Trabzonspor was abandoned on Monday after the Istanbul side's players were pelted with objects thrown onto the pitch by home supporters of the Black Sea club.
Supporters clashed with police in the streets of Trabzon following the match, which the referee halted in the 10th minute of added time at the end of the first half,
Fenerbahce, who were winning 1-0 at the time thanks to a goal from Emmanuel Emenike, top the league on 51 points, with their arch Istanbul rivals Galatasaray second on 48. (Writing by Daren Butler. Editing by Patrick Johnston)
- Iraqi security forces and Kurds gain ground against Islamic State
- U.S. diplomat travels to West Africa as Ebola quarantine moves take hold |
- U.S. nurse quarantined over Ebola criticizes her treatment |
- Washington state teen shooter's family living in 'nightmare'
- Ukraine votes in poll likely to strengthen president's hand |