Putin moves ahead with procedure to bring Crimea into Russia
MOSCOW, March 18
MOSCOW, March 18 (Reuters) - President Vladimir Putin pressed forward on Tuesday with the procedure for bringing Ukraine's Crimea region into Russia, informing his government and parliament of the Crimean leadership's proposal to join Russia.
The steps, announced by the Kremlin, came a day after Putin recognised Crimea as an independent state following a referendum in which its voters supported joining Russia. Putin is to address parliament later on Tuesday.
- Alabama man gets $1,000 in police settlement, his lawyers get $459,000
- Doctor who worked in Africa first Ebola case in New York City |
- Exclusive: Charred tanks in Ukraine point to Russian involvement
- Ground offensive against Islamic State months away in Iraq: U.S.
- U.S. stock futures tumble on reports of NY Ebola case