Death toll from Guinea haemorrhagic fever rises to 29
CONAKRY (Reuters) - The death toll from an outbreak of a haemorrhagic fever in Guinea's southeastern forest region has climbed to 29, while the number of cases has risen to 49, a health ministry official in the west African country said on Friday.
Sakoba Keita, in charge of the prevention of epidemics, said preliminary results from tests carried out in France to identify the disease were so far inconclusive.
"However, we are narrowing it down to Ebola and Marburg Haemorrhagic Fever (MHF)," Keita said.
The two highly lethal diseases are caused by similar viruses that are among the most virulent pathogens known to infect humans, the World Health Organization says on its website.
The first case of the outbreak in Guinea was reported on February 9. Cases have been recorded in three southeastern towns and
in the capital Conakry.
- French warplanes search Mali desert for crashed Air Algerie plane |
- At least 15 killed by shelling of Gaza school; toll exceeds 760 |
- Exclusive: Ukraine rebel commander acknowledges fighters had BUK missile
- U.S. House panel votes to authorize lawsuit against Obama
- Lawyers call for outside probe of 'bungled' Arizona execution |
Robert Blendon of the Harvard School of Public Health says the Affordable Care Act's unpopularity in 12 key states will keep it a central issue in the 2014 elections. Video