Deposed president demands vote on each Ukrainian region's status
MOSCOW, March 28
MOSCOW, March 28 (Reuters) - Ukraine's deposed president, Viktor Yanukovich, called on Friday for each of the country's regions to hold a referendum on its status "within Ukraine", Russia's Itar-Tass news agency reported.
"As a president who is with you with all my thoughts and soul, I urge every sensible citizen of Ukraine: Don't give in to impostors! Demand a referendum on the status of each region within Ukraine," Yanukovich was quoted as saying in an address to the people of Ukraine. He fled to Russia last month.
(Reporting by Vladimir Soldatkin and Alissa de Carbonnel)
- Comedian Joan Rivers 'resting comfortably' at hospital |
- IBM launches Watson system for research, hopes for breakthroughs
- In town halls, U.S. lawmakers hear voter anger over illegal migrants |
- Separatists say will allow 'trapped' Ukrainian forces to withdraw |
- Obama says does not yet have broad strategy for Islamic State