Merkel tells China's President Xi free expression is vital
BERLIN (Reuters) - German Chancellor Angela Merkel said on Friday that she told visiting Chinese President Xi Jinping it was crucial to ensure freedom of expression in both China and Germany.
"Broad and free expression of opinion is of course a very important element to promote the creativity of a society, be it in research, culture or civil society," German Chancellor Angela Merkel told a joint news conference in Berlin.
- Obama condemns killing of reporter, U.S. hits militants in Iraq |
- Gaza war rages on, Hamas says Israel tried to kill its military chief |
- Four beheaded corpses found in Egypt's Sinai: security sources
- Father of Texas 'affluenza' teen arrested for impersonating police officer
- U.S. attorney general visits Missouri town for meetings on fatal shooting