Estonia's Kallas to cover for EU's Rehn in top economic post
ATHENS, April 2
ATHENS, April 2 (Reuters) - The European Union's Transport Commissioner Sim Kallas will stand in for Economic and Monetary Affairs Commissioner Olli Rehn, who takes a leave of absence to run for the European Parliament, the Commission said.
Kallas, 65, is a former prime minister, finance minister and central bank governor of Estonia and will stand in from next week until May 25.
Rehn will return to the Commission after the elections and, if he becomes a member of the European Parliament, is likely to stay on at the EU executive until the first sitting of the new parliament in July.
- Moscow fights back after sanctions; battle rages near Ukraine crash site |
- Carnage at U.N. school as Israel pounds Gaza Strip |
- U.S. economy back on track with strong second-quarter rebound |
- Argentine debt talks down to the wire to avert default
- EU and U.S. announce new sanctions on Russia over Ukraine |