Estonia's Kallas to cover for EU's Rehn in top economic post
ATHENS, April 2
ATHENS, April 2 (Reuters) - The European Union's Transport Commissioner Sim Kallas will stand in for Economic and Monetary Affairs Commissioner Olli Rehn, who takes a leave of absence to run for the European Parliament, the Commission said.
Kallas, 65, is a former prime minister, finance minister and central bank governor of Estonia and will stand in from next week until May 25.
Rehn will return to the Commission after the elections and, if he becomes a member of the European Parliament, is likely to stay on at the EU executive until the first sitting of the new parliament in July.
- Scots vote on independence, United Kingdom's fate on knife-edge |
- Australian PM says police raids follow IS linked beheading plot |
- Islamic State shows captive British journalist in new video
- Chinese hacked U.S. military contractors: Senate panel
- China not warlike, says Xi, as border standoff dominates India trip