UPDATE 1-Merger talks between Barrick Gold and Newmont Mining break down -WSJ
(Adds Newmont declines to comment, paragraph 3)
April 18 (Reuters) - Merger talks between Barrick Gold Corp and Newmont Mining Corp, the world's top two gold producers, broke down in the past few days, the Wall Street Journal reported on Friday, citing unnamed sources.
The two companies, with a combined market capitalization of about $33 billion, were in advanced talks about a merger this week, the Journal said. (r.reuters.com/guk68v)
Spokesmen for Barrick and Newmont declined to comment.
Barrick had twice reached deals to buy Newmont, first in 2008 and then in 2010, but scrapped the agreements, Reuters reported last year, citing unnamed sources. (Reporting by Sagarika Jaisinghani and Devika Krishna Kumar in Bangalore; Editing by Mohammad Zargham)
- Obama condemns killing of reporter, U.S. hits militants in Iraq |
- Gaza war rages on, Hamas says Israel tried to kill its military chief |
- Four beheaded corpses found in Egypt's Sinai: security sources
- Father of Texas 'affluenza' teen arrested for impersonating police officer
- U.S. attorney general visits racially charged St. Louis suburb