UPDATE 1-Merger talks between Barrick Gold and Newmont Mining break down -WSJ
(Adds Newmont declines to comment, paragraph 3)
April 18 (Reuters) - Merger talks between Barrick Gold Corp and Newmont Mining Corp, the world's top two gold producers, broke down in the past few days, the Wall Street Journal reported on Friday, citing unnamed sources.
The two companies, with a combined market capitalization of about $33 billion, were in advanced talks about a merger this week, the Journal said. (r.reuters.com/guk68v)
Spokesmen for Barrick and Newmont declined to comment.
Barrick had twice reached deals to buy Newmont, first in 2008 and then in 2010, but scrapped the agreements, Reuters reported last year, citing unnamed sources. (Reporting by Sagarika Jaisinghani and Devika Krishna Kumar in Bangalore; Editing by Mohammad Zargham)
- Nurse defies Ebola quarantine with bike ride; negotiations fail |
- Japan shares soar, yen skids after BOJ stuns with new easing steps
- Suspect in Pennsylvania police ambush captured after seven-week manhunt
- Oil price declines have small-cap shale investors scrambling
- China says nets 180 graft suspects in overseas manhunt