ECB's Coeure says has margin to reduce main interest rate
PARIS, April 22
PARIS, April 22 (Reuters) - European Central Bank executive board member Benoit Coeure said there was further margin to reduce the main interest rate below 0.25 percent and that the strength of the euro could be keeping inflation too low.
"We have many tools in the event that it becomes necessary to loosen our monetary policy," Coeure told Le Monde newspaper in an interview published on Tuesday. "We still have further margin to reduce our main interest rate."
Asked about the level of the euro, he said: "The question for us is whether the level and future trajectory of the euro could slow a return to inflation close to and below 2 percent." (Reporting by Nicholas Vinocur; Editing by James Regan)
- Alibaba IPO ranks as world's biggest after additional shares sold
- Study of smoking cancer patients fuels e-cigarette debate
- Exclusive: Iran seeks give and take on Islamic State militants, nuclear program
- Islamic State closes in on Syrian town, refugees flood into Turkey |
- Accused White House intruder is decorated Iraq war veteran