CORRECTED-Insurer Travelers' profit rises 17 pct
(Corrects paragraph 4 to show that net investment income rose 10 percent, not 66 percent)
April 22 (Reuters) - U.S. property and casualty insurer Travelers Cos Inc reported a 17 percent rise in first-quarter profit, helped by higher premiums and net investment income.
The company's net income rose to $1.05 billion, or $2.95 per share, for the quarter ended March 31, from $896 million, or $2.33 per share, a year earlier.
Net written premiums rose about 5 percent to $5.87 billion, while total revenue rose 6 percent to $6.71 billion.
Net investment income rose about 10 percent to $736 million. (Reporting by Avik Das in Bangalore; Editing by Saumyadeb Chakrabarty)
- Qatar will not host World Cup: FIFA official
- Exclusive: Iran seeks give and take on Islamic State militants, nuclear program
- New Jersey man attacked and killed by black bear, police say
- Alibaba IPO ranks as world's biggest after additional shares sold
- Islamic State tells followers to attack U.S., French citizens: website