Alpha Natural posts smaller loss as cost cuts pay off
May 1 (Reuters) - Coal miner Alpha Natural Resources Inc reported a smaller quarterly loss as the company's cost-control efforts helped offset the effect of depressed coal prices and lower demand.
The company's net loss narrowed to $56 million, or 25 cents per share, from $111 million, or 50 cents per share, a year earlier. (Reporting by Swetha Gopinath in Bangalore; Editing by Sriraj Kalluvila)
- Islamic State executes soldiers, takes hostages at Syria base: social media |
- Breakthrough hopes dented as Ukraine accuses Russia of new incursion |
- Gaza truce holding but Israel's Netanyahu under fire at home |
- WHO shuts Sierra Leone lab after worker infected with Ebola
- Ukraine warns Europe of Russian gas cut-off, Moscow denies