Ukraine says two soldiers killed near Slaviansk after rebel attack
KIEV May 2 (Reuters) - Two Ukrainian servicemen have been killed on the outskirts of the eastern town of Slaviansk after pro-Russian separatists attacked their position, Ukraine's Defence Ministry said on Friday.
"Heavy fighting is continuing. The deaths of two Ukrainian soldiers have been confirmed at the current time," the ministry said in a statement, accusing the separatists of using civilians as human shields. It said the two were members of the airborne brigade. (reporting by Natalia Zinets, writing by Elizabeth Piper, editing by Matt Robinson)
- Israel warns of long Gaza war as Palestinian fighters cross border |
- West agrees wider Russia sanctions as Kiev says forces near crash site |
- Court orders Russia to pay $50 billion for seizing Yukos assets |
- Man found dead trapped between elevator and shaft wall in NYC
- Wall Street yawns as deal news offsets data; Herbalife sinks