Pro-Russian rebels in Slaviansk say Ukraine tries to retake town, gunfire heard
SLAVIANSK, Ukraine May 2 (Reuters) - Pro-Russian separatists in Slaviansk in eastern Ukraine said on Friday Ukrainian forces had launched a "large-scale operation" to retake the town.
A Reuters photographer said he saw a military helicopter open fire on the outskirts of the town and a reporter heard gunfire. The Ukrainian authorities could not immediately be reached for comment. (Reporting by Maria Tsvetkova; Writing by Elizabeth Piper; Editing by Paul Tait)
- U.S. nurse defies Maine's Ebola quarantine, takes bike ride |
- Clashes erupt as Israeli police kill Palestinian suspected of shooting Jewish far-rightist
- Apple's Cook: 'I'm proud to be gay'
- SoftBank's humanoid robot lands job as Nescafe salesman
- Ukraine, Russia, EU likely to agree gas supply deal on Thursday: officials