Pro-Russian rebels in Slaviansk say Ukraine tries to retake town, gunfire heard
SLAVIANSK, Ukraine May 2 (Reuters) - Pro-Russian separatists in Slaviansk in eastern Ukraine said on Friday Ukrainian forces had launched a "large-scale operation" to retake the town.
A Reuters photographer said he saw a military helicopter open fire on the outskirts of the town and a reporter heard gunfire. The Ukrainian authorities could not immediately be reached for comment. (Reporting by Maria Tsvetkova; Writing by Elizabeth Piper; Editing by Paul Tait)
- Exclusive: Angry with Washington, 1 in 4 Americans open to secession
- Scots spurn independence in historic vote, devolution battle begins |
- Alibaba surges 38 percent on massive demand in market debut |
- Eight bodies found after attack on Guinea Ebola education team
- French jets strike in Iraq, expanding U.S.-led campaign against Islamic State |