Pro-Russian rebels in Slaviansk say Ukraine tries to retake town, gunfire heard
SLAVIANSK, Ukraine May 2 (Reuters) - Pro-Russian separatists in Slaviansk in eastern Ukraine said on Friday Ukrainian forces had launched a "large-scale operation" to retake the town.
A Reuters photographer said he saw a military helicopter open fire on the outskirts of the town and a reporter heard gunfire. The Ukrainian authorities could not immediately be reached for comment. (Reporting by Maria Tsvetkova; Writing by Elizabeth Piper; Editing by Paul Tait)
- U.S. nurse quarantined over Ebola criticizes her treatment |
- Washington state teen shooter's family living in 'nightmare'
- Suspect in two California deputy deaths charged with murder, carjacking
- Iraqi security forces and Kurds gain ground against Islamic State
- U.S. diplomat travels to West Africa as Ebola quarantine moves take hold |