Pro-Russian rebels in Slaviansk say Ukraine tries to retake town, gunfire heard
SLAVIANSK, Ukraine May 2 (Reuters) - Pro-Russian separatists in Slaviansk in eastern Ukraine said on Friday Ukrainian forces had launched a "large-scale operation" to retake the town.
A Reuters photographer said he saw a military helicopter open fire on the outskirts of the town and a reporter heard gunfire. The Ukrainian authorities could not immediately be reached for comment. (Reporting by Maria Tsvetkova; Writing by Elizabeth Piper; Editing by Paul Tait)
- Islamic State threat 'beyond anything we've seen': Pentagon
- British Muslims blame jihadi subculture after beheading video |
- Israeli air strike kills three Hamas commanders in Gaza |
- U.S. aid workers who survived Ebola leave Atlanta hospital |
- National Guard to withdraw from riot-torn Ferguson, Missouri |