UK's Osborne says would back Pfizer-AstraZeneca deal if it delivers jobs
LONDON May 6 (Reuters) - Britain's finance minister George Osborne said the government would support a possible takeover of pharmaceutical firm AstraZeneca by U.S. drugmaker Pfizer provided such a deal delivered jobs for Britons.
"Our sole interest here is in securing good jobs in Britain, good manufacturing jobs, good science jobs," Osborne said when asked by reporters about a possible deal.
"That's what I'm interested in and we'll support any arrangement that delivers that for Britain," he said. (Reporting by William James, editing by Guy Faulconbridge)
- Israel pummels Gaza; Kerry steps up diplomatic push |
- With sales sputtering, Apple's iPad looks to IBM alliance
- Ukraine war crimes trials a step closer after Red Cross assessment
- Rebels likely downed Malaysian jet 'by mistake': U.S. officials
- Five held in China food scandal probe, including head of Shanghai Husi Food